Common household cleaning products can contain ingredients that are endocrine disruptors.
What is an endocrine disruptor❓
An endocrine disruptor is a chemical that alters hormone signaling. It mimics the real hormone, so the real hormone may not be able to do its actual job. This can have an effect on the reproductive, immune, and nervous systems.
Do they actually get into our bodies❓
Humans are exposed to them through ingestion, inhalation, and dermal exposure(1)
Where are they mainly found in cleaning products❓
Fragrance can contain endocrine disruptors, especially one called phthalates. Synthetic fragrance is found in many cleaning products because we associate a clean smell with cleanliness!
1. May target the ovary at all stages of development and in adulthood (A)
2. May be associated with disruption in menstruation, ovulation dysfunction, and increased risk of endometriosis (B)
3. Have studies that show that higher levels of phthalates in both men and women trying to conceive are associated with longer times to conception and eventual diagnosis of infertility (C)
4. Have studies that show that phthalate exposure has been associated with poor egg quality (D)
5. Inhibit testosterone synthesis(E)
6. Reduce semen quality and altered male genital development(E)
7. Decrease steroid hormone levels in adult men(F)
8. Contribute to respiratory symptoms (G)
Are there other chemicals found in cleaning products that are endocrine disruptors❓
Yes, some other endocrine disruptors are:
“Even low doses of EDCs may be unsafe. The body’s normal endocrine functioning involves very small changes in hormone levels, yet we know even these small changes can cause significant developmental and biological effects. This observation leads scientists to think that endocrine-disrupting chemical exposures, even at low amounts, can alter the body’s sensitive systems and lead to health problems.” (H)
????????????Good thing is, you can do something about it. Reduce your intake/exposure to them.
This is purely to educate, not fear. With knowledge you’re empowered to make the best choice possible for you!