????Earth Day Swaps
Have you ever thought about that what is better for the earth, is usually better for your health too? Crazy!
Let’s talk plastics:
????????Plastics and health
BPA is commonly used in plastic food containers and many plastics. It is used mainly in hard, clear plastic. BPA was shown to be a risk factor in inflammatory bowel disease. It showed that BPA negatively affects gut physiology and exacerbates inflammation. In fact, BPA showed that 93% of Americans had detectable levels of BPA in their urine.(1)
Besides beauty products, another source of phthalates (called ortho- phthalates)is in food packaging. It is used as a plasticizer to give flexibility and durability to food packaging products. This type of phthalate are “potential endocrine disruptors that have a significant potential to adversely affect human reproductive development, especially in males.” (2)
????????Plastics and the environment
According to National Geographic:
* Half of all plastics ever manufactured have been made in the last 15 years.
* Production increased exponentially, from 2.3 million tons in 1950 to 448 million tons by 2015. Production is expected to double by 2050.
* Every year, about 8 million tons of plastic waste escapes into the oceans from coastal nations. That’s the equivalent of setting five garbage bags full of trash on every foot of coastline around the world.
* Plastics often contain additives making them stronger, more flexible, and durable. But many of these additives can extend the life of products if they become litter, with some estimates ranging to at least 400 years to break down.
* Landfills receive about 27 million tons of plastic each year. The plastic recycling rate is 8.7% (3)
❓What’s a favorite eco friendly swap of yours❓