Asparagus is one of the most underrated vegetables in my opinion. Many people think of it as a plain boring kinda stringy side dish. Let me change that picture for you! Asparagus is SO good for you. It contains tons of vitamins and minerals and has low calories. It’s high in fiber, making it the perfect vegetable for your digestive system. It’s also a high source of antioxidants which can help prevent cancers and other chronic health issues. The taste of asparagus often depends on the size of the vegetables, so be sure to always choose skinnier stalks for a better flavor and less fibrous material.
Bacon, on the other hand, is one of the most beloved foods out there. And for a good reason; it adds such a richness to any meal and the crunchy edges are to die for. Traditionally a breakfast dish, its often forgotten once dinner rolls around. However, it adds an amazing texture and flavor to so many side dishes. Combined here with asparagus, it makes for a crunchy, salty, rich combo that will up your holiday dinner game.
- 1 LB asparagus, the thinner the better
- 5-6 slices of bacon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 1/2 coconut aminos
- 1/4 TSP garlic powder
- ground pepper for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400
- Wash asparagus and cut ends
- Divide asparagus into groups of 4-5 stalks and wrap with bacon (if the bacon strips are especially long, cut them in half)
- Combine remaining ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil
- Pour mixture over the bundles, focusing on the bacon
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning over once
- Increase heat to a broil and bake for 5-6 minutes, watching carefully until bacon is crisp (turn halfway through
- Remove from oven and enjoy!